Atlanta Civil Rights Lawyers Defend Cherished Freedoms
Established Georgia law firm asserts fundamental rights
The American system is founded upon ideals of individual liberty and the proposition that all people are equal and deserve equal protection under the law. Your civil rights are fundamental protections from an overreach of government power and certain unlawful conduct by private parties. Law Office of Jason H. Coffman stands firm against unjust, demeaning and discriminatory practices. Our knowledgeable attorneys work diligently to investigate incidents of unlawful treatment to build an effective case for relief. With more than 20 years of experience, our lawyers thoroughly understand the laws related to your civil rights, and handle all types of state and federal claims. We provide a calm reassurance to clients seeking reliable legal advice and determined representation. We have a solid record of success in obtaining injunctive relief in the form of court orders to end violations, as well as monetary damages for certain types of egregious mistreatment.
Staunch advocates for your individual freedoms
The U.S. Constitution limits the power of the federal government and specifically reserves certain rights to the people through the first 10 Amendments, which comprise the Bill of Rights. The 14th Amendment to the Constitution forces state governments to honor these rights as well. If our incisive investigation reveals evidence that an agent of federal, state or local government has violated your rights, our determined attorneys can advise you on a course of action. We handle claims relating to:
- First Amendment — Citizens and legal residents have the freedom to practice their religion, speak and publish without interference, petition their government, assemble peaceably to protest, and associate with whomever they please, all without fear of reprisal.
- Second Amendment — Citizens and legal residents have the right to bear firearms.
- Fourth Amendment — Citizens and legal residents are protected from unreasonable search and seizure.
- Fifth Amendment — Citizens and legal residents cannot be forced to testify against themselves. They cannot be charged with the same crime twice. Government cannot take property without due process and fair compensation.
- Sixth Amendment — Citizens and legal residents have right to a fair and speedy trial by a jury of their peers.
- Eighth Amendment — Citizens and legal residents cannot be subjected to cruel and unusual punishment.
- 14th Amendment — Citizens and legal residents have the right to equal protection under the law.
Depending on the facts of a case, certain due process protections may apply to undocumented residents as they do to citizens and legal residents.
State and federal statutes enforce civil rights against employers and other private parties
The landmark Civil Rights Act of 1965 removed many barriers to equal protection that existed due to state laws that had institutionalized discrimination. Since then, Congress has passed additional protections to outlaw discriminatory practices. Law Office of Jason H. Coffman manages claims of discrimination related to any of the following:
- Age (ADEA)
- Disability (ADA)
- Equal compensation (Title VII, EPA, Lily Ledbetter Act, FLSA)
- Genetic information (Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008)
- National origin (Title VII)
- Pregnancy (Title VII, FMLA)
- Race or ethnicity (Title VII)
- Religion (Title VII)
- Gender (Title VII)
- Sexual harassment (Title VII)
- Workplace retaliation (Title VII, ADEA, ADA, EPA)
If you’ve experienced discrimination, you should consult a knowledgeable attorney as quickly as possible. Failure to file your claim with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) within the statutory filing period may cost you the right to have your case heard.
Contact an established civil rights attorney for reliable advocacy
A trustworthy lawyer at Law Office of Jason H. Coffman is ready to discuss your civil rights case. We are prepared to pursue civil rights claims before state and federal courts in Atlanta, and throughout Georgia. Contact us at 470-400-1193 or online to schedule a consultation.